My Constantly Evolving List of All-Time Favorites.

Kyle 's favorites books montage

Gone Girl
The Night Circus
The Woodcutter
The Graveyard Book
Galore
Sharp Objects
Dark Places
Shutter Island
The Passage
The Twelve
Rules of Civility
The Aviary
Divergent
Heir to the Glimmering World
Wool Omnibus
Neverwhere
The Weird Sisters
A Song of Ice and Fire
A Game of Thrones
Reamde


Kyle Uniss's favorite books »

Thursday, February 21, 2013

The Woodcutter by Kate Danley


"You are no longer that which you were and will forever be more than you ever thought possible."



I love it when an author an author finds a way to take a fairy tale, or a group of fairy tales, and reshape it in to something new. A good re-telling takes the stories that we know by heart and shows a different telling. Kate Danley does just that.

This book takes us into the world of the Woodcutter, a magical man (creature?) who plays the part of guardian, detective and ecologist. He guards the border between reality and fairy tales. When a young girl is found dead in the woods he takes on the role of detective, knowing that something is wrong in the fairy world. 

We pretty much know who the bad guys and the good guys are based on fairy tale mythlore, and the book does wrap up very neatly. It does start off slowly, but once I got into the book I didn't want to put it down. Danley entwines many fairy tale characters and storylines and mixes them into one wonderful mystery.

Another plus for this book was the price. I got this for my Kindle, so at $3.99 it was a deal. I pick these up every once and awhile for when I am between books (and the fact that I can store them without the clutter eases both my pack rat mentality and my clutter-free world mentality). It is also one of the titles that can be shared between Kindles, which is a plus.

The Woodcutter by Kate Danley available on Kindle

No comments:

Post a Comment